Tuesday, March 7, 2017

King of the World

We know we ought not to have idols.  So we don't, more or less.  I mean we don't put up golden calves or statues of the gods and bow down before them and worship them, offering sacrifices of animals to appease their anger.  We might put our focus on other things or put other people first before God, but are those really idols?  We are so good at justification, we can justify just about anything and make ourselves believe we are not really putting those things or people first at all.

Yet how often do we make idols of ourselves, trying to be god unto ourselves?

There is a new song by Natalie Grant that I have heard many times on the radio and it always brings me back to that prideful reality in myself.  It reminds me that I must abandon myself to Divine Providence and not try to force my Lord to carry out my will.

The song is called "King of the World."  The words may of themselves provide fodder for meditation, so I will include them below, but they mean much more with the music: here.


"King Of The World"

I tried to fit You in the walls inside my mind
I try to keep You safely in between the lines
I try to put You in the box that I've designed
I try to pull You down so we are eye to eye

When did I forget that You've always been the King of the world?
I try to take life back right out of the hands of the King of the world
How could I make You so small
When You're the one who holds it all
When did I forget that You've always been the King of the world

Just a whisper of Your voice can tame the seas
So who am I to try to take the lead
Still I run ahead and think I'm strong enough
When You're the one who made me from the dust

When did I forget that You've always been the King of the world?
I try to take life back right out of the hands of the King of the world
How could I make You so small
When You're the one who holds it all
When did I forget You've always been the King of the world
You will always be the King of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment